The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said Ugandans in China, who had earlier asked to be returned home due to Covid-19-related distress, have refused to come back.
In a statement issued yesterday by Mr Henry Okello Oryem, the State minister for Foreign Affairs, Ugandans in China are not among the 2,392 persons on the ministry’s list of potential returnees.
Government on Tuesday received 34 Ugandans from Sudan and another 16 who got stranded in Belgium and the Netherlands following the lockdown on the country on March 23, that saw the country’s borders closed to passengers.
In an interview with Daily Monitor yesterday, Mr Oryem attributed the “change of mind” to the wellbeing of Ugandans living in China.
The minister said no Ugandan who had traveled abroad to look for better life wishes to return to poverty [in Uganda] from which they ran away.
“Even if they (Ugandans abroad) come back, they will come into poverty. And if they come back, no one will welcome them back into their homes and they will also have nothing to do,” Mr Oryem said.